Welcome to Boy Scout Troop 20
Atlanta Area Council
Appalachian Trail District
Big Canoe, Georgia
Troop 20 is located in the mountains of North Georgia. As our district name implies we are just a few miles from Springer Mountain, the southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail. The mountains are our backyard and playground!
We’re home to Boy Scouts from Big Canoe, Bent Tree, Jasper, Dawsonville, Marble Hill, Tate, and Ballground. Our troop is chartered by the Big Canoe Chapel, but it is not necessary to be a Chapel member to join and be a Troop 20 Scout.
We are unique in that unlike most troops, we don’t conduct our meetings at a church, school or office – we hold our meetings at our Scout Hut nestled in the woods near Big Canoe. Directions to the hut .
The Mission of the Boy Scouts of America is to prepare young people to make ethical and moral choices over their lifetimes by instilling in them the values of the Scout Oath and Law.
At its core, Scouting is fun with a purpose. Boys don’t join or continue in the Scouting program just for the values – they are here to have fun with their brothers in Scouting at meetings and in the great outdoors.
Every fun activity moves Scouts toward the Aims of Scouting- Character Development, Citizenship Training and Mental & Physical Fitness and there are eight Methods used in Scouting program to help fulfill those aims. Adult Association, Advancement, Ideals, Leadership Development, Outdoors, Personal Growth, Uniform and Patrol Method. To accomplish the Aims of Scouting, Troop 20 and its leaders use the Methods of Scouting while conducting a wide variety of exciting year-round activities, including:
- Hiking and camping throughout North Georgia, especially on the AT. There is no better classroom than the great outdoors.
- Attending summer and winter camps at nearby Woodruff (Blairsville, GA) and Bert Adams (Covington, GA) Scout Reservations to earn near countless merit badges.
- Sailing, canoeing and kayaking at the Atlanta Area Council’s Allatoona Aquatics Base.
- Waterskiing, wakeboarding and surfing on Lake Lanier.
- Alpine skiing and snowboarding at Cataloochee Ski Resort in NC.
- White water rafting on the Ocoee (site of the 1996 Summer Olympics) and Nantahala Rivers
- Caving in Raccoon Mountain near Chattanooga, TN
- Attending High Adventure Scout Camps- Philmont NM and Sea Base in the Florida Keys.
- Supporting the North Georgia Veterans during Memorial and Veterans Day as well as the Military Tribute Banner Program in Big Canoe
If you are new to Scouting and between the ages of 11 and 17 or maybe you are a Webelo new to the area and ready to cross over to Boy Scouts, then this is the perfect place for you!
Troop 20 welcomes the opportunity to meet parents and future Boy Scouts. Click here to contact us to setup an opportunity to visit.
If you would like more information about joining the Boy Scout Troop 20, leave us a message on our Contacts page.