|Dawson County Recipients
||Pickens County Recipients
Big Canoe Chapel has offered scholarships for the last 36 years to deserving students in Dawson and Pickens Counties. The Scholarship Program was introduced in 1982 with the goal of encouraging high school students to attend college. Since 1982, over 2,300 students have received awards totaling over $2,500,000.
Big Canoe Chapel Scholarship Program operates under the direction of a Scholarship Committee currently consisting of Sandra and Larry Applewhite, Lynn and Brian Roberts, Ellen Finley, Syl and Gordon Harnesberger, Jo Ellen Tramell, Barbara and Bill Weagly, and Cathy and Jerry Wentworth. The Scholarship Committee is assisted with interviewing students by a host of Chapel member volunteers.
We ask God’s blessings on these scholarship recipients and their families and wish them success as they continue their education.
WHO MAY APPLY FOR A BIG CANOE CHAPEL SCHOLARSHIP? Any student may apply who:
- is a resident of Pickens or Dawson County, and
- is graduating from an accredited high school or homeschool program, and
- wishes to further his/her education as a full-time student in any college or vocational/technical school.
TO BE CONSIDERED for a Big Canoe Scholarship, students must do the following:
- Provide the Scholarship Committee with an official transcript of high school grades. Applicants must meet the minimum HOPE scholarship requirements.
- Provide two written personal references: one from the school, such as a teacher, counselor, or administrator; and one from an adult outside the school or family.
- Complete the Senior Profile. A school counselor will provide the necessary information to secure and complete the form. The completed form must be type-written. Please be as specific as possible in responding to the questions.
- Provide a letter of acceptance from a college or vocational/technical school of choice. If not available by the application deadline (to be announced), it can be mailed or faxed to the Chapel.
- Set up an appointment for an interview. School counselors will assist with scheduling the student interviews, which will be conducted by a member of the Big Canoe Chapel Scholarship Committee. Interview at the public high school in your home county, even if you do not attend that school.
Print our Scholarship Brochure.